- This event has passed.
Sustainable Crediton Seed Share
March 16, 2019 @ 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
Share, Grow, Eat! Sustainable Crediton Seed Share
Keen to grow your own? Would you like to try your hand at growing unusual varieties? Or have you saved some seeds from last year to share? Come and join us on 16th March.
Local and heritage seed varieties on offer. Take some seeds to grow, save seeds, bring back next year to share.
There will be information and displays about the following, subject to confirmation nearer the date:
Demonstrations, children’s corner and more
Featuring musical entertainment from the amazingly talented and lovely WOODMEN! Not to be missed.
Enjoy a delicious lunch from local surplus food
Why Share Seeds?
Saving seed from one year to plant the next is a traditional skill, practiced since humanity began deliberately growing food to feed itself.
Today, seed swapping can:
● Help protect biodiversity and keeps the diversity of locally adapted varieties going
● Maintain growing skills
● Get round the National List, which makes it illegal to sell varieties not on the list.
● Seed swaps keep seed making in the garden and out of the laboratory and resists the privatisation of plant genetic material.
● Saving seed and seed swaps introduce you to other local gardeners and help develop a sense of community.
● Very helpfully, saving seed can also can also save you money
A seed swap works by people bringing seeds they have saved and taking away other people’s seeds to use. It doesn’t matter if you haven’t any seeds to bring though, it is hoped that by next year you will saved some seeds and bring them to the next seed swap.
We operate on voluntary donations only because it is illegal to sell seeds that are not on the national seed list. As we swap heritage and other older varieties of seeds it means we cannot charge.
You can bring both vegetable and flower seeds. It would be helpful if you label packets with the type, variety and date collected e.g. Tomato Moneymaker 2018. Surplus commercial seed packets are also acceptable. All seeds should be no older than 3 years old.
Voluntary donations to Sustainable Crediton gratefully received!