“Giving back is good for the mind, body, and spirit, as volunteering in the community has been shown to increase happiness, reduce stress, and boost self-esteem.”
Blogger Tina Martin of Ideaspired has put together some excellent guest pieces for the VGS of late:
Here’s her piece on transitioning to a better future and the practical steps to get there:
And here she is writing last month on how building a green business can be “an excellent way to pursue your passion for entrepreneurship while supporting the environment”:
Here is Tina again, with another innovative approach to an ongoing issue – this time how we can offer practical steps to help those less fortunate than ourselves, even in these difficult times:
11 Ways to Help Community Members From Near or Far
Giving back is good for the mind, body, and spirit, as volunteering in the community has been shown to increase happiness, reduce stress, and boost self-esteem. But even more importantly, giving back helps those who really need it. Check out these 11 ideas from Vision Group for Sidmouth to learn how to make a positive difference in the lives of others, including those living near and far.
Support Immigrant Families in Your Community
To make your community a better place for immigrants and refugees, you might consider offering translation services or starting a nonprofit organisation that supports immigrant families.
- Support charities such as the Beyond Borders and Integr8, both based in Totnes, Refugee Support Devon and the International Rescue Committee.
- Start a non-profit organisation that offers translation services for Ukrainians, Afghans and others arriving in Devon.
- Consider starting another type of charity that supports immigrant families, such as English as a second language tutoring, pro bono legal services, and food pantries for immigrants.
Fight Poverty and Homelessness
There are many ways to give back and help the people in your community who live in poverty.
- Assemble homeless care kits for people in your community living without suitable homes.
- Donate new or gently used clothing to charity and encourage your friends and neighbours to do the same.
- Locate a food bank near you to volunteer your time or make a donation.
- Provide local food banks with donations of canned goods, crackers, dried spices, and granola bars.
Help People and Animals
Animal rescue workers are prone to compassion fatigue, but supporting animal shelters in your community can help both humans and animals alike.
- Search for local animal shelters and rescues in your community. Many of these organisations accept volunteers to help with tasks such as cage cleaning, dog walking, and socialising.
- Donate blankets, sheets, toys, and other items to local animal shelters.
- Help stray animals by catching them in carriers and transporting them to shelters.
- Support organisations that help pets living in poverty.
From starting your own non-profit that offers language translation services, to donating food, clothing, and money to charitable organisations in your community, there are lots of ways to give back and help humans and animals from near or far. Giving back not only feels great, but it makes a huge difference in the lives of others — which may be the best benefit of all.
Vision Group for Sidmouth provides support for local people and organisations who are taking up particular issues for improving Sidmouth life, and to listen to residents’ ideas. Contact us today for more information!
With thanks again to Tina Martin: Home | Ideaspired