During June 2020, schemes were put into effect to help manage thoroughfares, anticipating the easing of lockdown:
New cycle lanes and wider pavements: ‘pop-ups’ for Devon – Vision Group for Sidmouth
Part-pedestrianisation for Sidmouth town centre – Vision Group for Sidmouth
Over the past years, there have been several proposals for a comprehensive scheme…
In the original VGS report, traffic was a key issue:
And several times since then it has been examined very closely:
2008 Transport – Vision Group for Sidmouth (2008)
Futures Forum: Traffic Management Plan for Sidmouth: looking for ‘low cost, quick win’ solutions (2015)
Traffic and Transport – Vision Group for Sidmouth (2018)
This has been regularly reported in the Herald:
Sidmouth traffic “horrendous” Vision Group hears | Sidmouth Herald ((2010)
Vision group’s Sidmouth traffic survey offer | Sidmouth Herald (2011)
Traffic plan underway ‘very shortly’ for Sidmouth | Sidmouth Herald (2016)
Last year, specific issues were discussed:
Sidmouth Park-and-Ride not in the plans – Vision Group for Sidmouth
Rejuvenating our streets – Vision Group for Sidmouth (2019)
Also last year, the latest large-scale proposals for managing traffic were laid out in the Neighbourhood Plan:
And at the informal virtual meeting of the Town Council on 11th May, it was agreed that a ’round table’ would be organised, at which ‘all the issues’ could be discussed – hoping it will be good for Sidmouth and it’s economy post COVID19:
Town Council Meetings – Sidmouth Town Council
Meanwhile, Ottery started looking at creating its own traffic management plan over a year ago:
A vision for Ottery’s traffic and transport – Vision Group for Sidmouth
And now its town council is taking this forward:
New measures to benefit pedestrians and cyclists in Ottery St Mary | Sidmouth Herald
Sidmouth looks forward to the process starting soon, with the initiative coming from the town’s County Councillor, who is also the county’s highways supremo, as well as a long-standing town and district councillor:
STUART’S SIX GOALS FOR THE ‘SIDMOUTH (SID VALLEY)’ DIVISION
1. To work on delivery of the flood defence scheme for Sidmouth that I was successful in accelerating to 2018/19 in the Defra 6 year programme.
2. To dovetail a comprehensive Traffic Management Plan into the Sidmouth Neighbourhood Plan and continue to make the case for link from B3176 into the Aleaxandria Industrial Estate.
3. Continue to support the retention of beds and services provided by our valued Community Hospital and Library Service.
4. Provision of the extension of the Sid Valley Cycle Trail /Footpath between Sidford and Sidbury and to programme the Sidmouth to Feniton cycle trail into updated Cycle Strategy.
5. Support all our schools and continue to lobby Government for fairer funding. Each pupil in Devon received £290 less than the national average, this is not right.
6. Continue to improve and make our roads and pavements safer and uphold measures to maintain and upgrade the network of public footpaths and bridleways in the Sid Valley.