The VGS is often consulted about things which affect the town and asked to supply a representative to site on panels and steering groups. VGS involvement obviously waxes and wanes in accordance with the number of large issues facing the town.
Currently we have a representative, or representatives, on the
Steering Group for the Beach Management Plan.
What has the VGS been involved with in the past?
As well as other groups which have since folded, members of the VGS have also helped with these projects:
- Friends of the Byes – Sidmouth’s most active environmental project
- The Sidmouth Arboretum Project, the country’s first civic arboretum
- Farmers’ Market and Food Festival now run by Kennaway House
- Science Festival started as a VGS project
- Cafe Scientifique started with the VGS
- Involvement with many campaigns and responce to many issues such as development at Port Royal, the Knowle, Sidford Business Park
- Arranging meetings such as Hustings, an information meeting about a proposed Mutual Bank for the South West, and much more
The VGS aims to have good working relationships with all community groups in Sidmouth so if you are one of them then please get in touch.