The Foodbank aims to ensure that those in need of food during this time receive essentials, including school lunch replacement
Schools will be closing – which might well mean that more parents will need help in looking after their children:
Government announces nationwide school shutdown to tackle spread of Covid-19 | sidmouthherald.co.uk
The Herald also reports on the Foodbank having to change its way of getting food to those who need it:
Foodbank shuts down collection service in Sid Valley amid coronavirus outbreak | sidmouthherald.co.uk
But the Foodbank is determined to provide this much-needed service – especially there will be higher demands on it in the coming days and weeks.
Its website specifies the services now on offer:
Sid Valley Food Bank
Contingency Planning for Coronavirus
The Foodbank aims to ensure that those in need of food during this time receive essentials, including school lunch replacement if schools are closed.
Safety and well-being are our primary concern. The Foodbank is acting to reduce risk to health of volunteers and clients.
- We will reduce contact between people to protect volunteers and clients by withdrawing hospitality & closing the collection service.
- Food will be delivered by volunteers.
- We will try to support vulnerable housebound clients via telephone/online communication.
- We are planning for an increase in demand for food help as the virus progresses, due loss of wages/jobs and school lunch deficit if schools are closed.
- There may be a reduction in food donations coupled with food shortages as a result of stocking up. We are looking at alternative ways to source food stocks, and streamlining our donation requests to essential items only.
- Due to a likely drop in volunteer numbers, as many are in the vulnerable category, we are trying to recruiting younger volunteers.
- We will stop fuel assistance, as warmer weather is coming. Our financial resources will be directed towards food purchases.
- Should there be a lockdown as in other countries, official advice on how to proceed will be followed.