The Beach Management Plan steering group – of which the Vision Group is a member – met earlier today:
22nd August 2019 at 2pm at Kennaway House, Sidmouth:
The Esplanade – Sidmouth, Devon – Dec 2018 | Sidmouth appear… | Flickr – labelled for non-commercial reuse
Here is the agenda:
It includes a new set of Terms of Reference of the BMP – understood to be a result of ‘membership changes at the Annual Council (meeting) in May 2019’:
The BMP SG membership changes are item 16. The BMP SG is mentioned in the embedded paper for item 16. It is no. 21 on the list in the paper:
It seems, however, that there have been fundamental changes in the membership of the Steering Group:
The original 2014 Terms of Reference in 2014 state:
- The Steering Group will have members drawn from each project partner plus members from the community and affected groups.
The new 2019 TOR (changes in yellow: see link) state:
The steering Group will comprise:
- Deputy Leader (Chair)
- Environment Portfolio Holder
- Deputy Environment Portfolio Holder
- Sidmouth Town Ward Councillors
- One additional Councillor appointed by the Council
Additionally the Group shall invite (at their discretion and when appropriate to do so)
- Members drawn from each of the project partners
- Members of the Community and affected groups
From which you will see the Steering Group now consists of politicians.
It does not represent community groups as expected by Defra and the Environment Agency.
The SVA, the VGS and the Cliff Road Action Group will no longer be recognised as entitled to sit and advise on the Steering Group on behalf of the community.
Nor will the Lifeboat, Sailing Club, Fisherman and Chamber of Commerce…
See the Vision Group pages for more background: