The District Council has come up with a handy, friendly list of how to keep our Christmas fun and waste-free:
Our top tips for quality recycling over the festive period include:
- Plain wrapping paper or plain Christmas cards – place these in your green recycling box
- Wrapping paper or Christmas cards with glitter, foil or plastic – sorry we can’t accept these for recycling so they need to go in your wheeled bin and they will be used to generate electricity. Putting these out for recycling could contaminate a whole lorry load of paper or cardboard!
- Textiles – put these into a bag and then into your recycling box to keep them dry. The textiles and shoes we collect are re-used so we are after the best quality items we can get and need to keep them clean and dry
- Food – the best thing to do with food during the festivities is to eat and enjoy. But even the best shopper and most skilled cook will get some food waste. You can use any single use bag to line your food caddy to make food recycling easy and to keep your blue caddy nice and clean
- Plastic film – Unfortunately we are unable to recycle plastic film products such as film wrappers, plastic bags, crisp packets, and polythene and pill casing. Put these items in your wheeled bin so that we can generate energy from them.
- Polystyrene – There is always lots of polystyrene around at Christmas in packaging. This is really difficult to recycle so please put this into your wheeled bin and we will generate energy from it.
- Extra recycling – If you have extra recycling at this time of year and you have filled your recycling containers you can put the extra materials in a box or bag next to your regular containers
Here’s to a green Christmas! | eastdevon.gov.uk
Knitted Christmas Tree Free Stock Photo – Public Domain Pictures